The Mercer Band Family!
Who we are...
- One of the finest collegiate athletic bands in the Southeast, entertaining thousands at home and away every year.
- We embody school spirit and what it means to be a part of Bear Nation!
Who can join…
- Marching band members participate in the following sections:
- Front Ensemble
- There are NO auditions to be a part of the marching band or pep band!
What about my major? And what about my grades?
- Over 90% of the marching and pep band members are majoring in something other than music!
- Membership includes mostly undergraduate students, but include graduate students as well
- Concerned about grades? Members of the athletic bands maintain some of the highest GPAs on campus!
- Many band members also actively participate in many other clubs, Greek life, and student employment as well.
Do I have time?
- YES! We typically only rehearse two night a week (Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7:00pm-9:00pm). If there is a home football game, we may rehearse on Friday evening.
Is there a summer band camp? How do I sign up?
- Yes, there is a short Band Camp that takes place about a week and a half before classes begin.
- If you live on campus, you will be able to move in early, and beat all of the traffic!
- Once you move in and camp begins, everything will be provided, including all meals for the week, as well as fun activities, including bowling, laser tag, and much more!
- If you are unsure about participating, band camp is a wonderful time to experience what the Mercer Band environment is all about. There is no obligation or costs if you decide not to join after band camp.
- Students can sign up by filling out the Band Interest Form (link included on this page) or by contacting the director directly.
- Percussion & Colorguard – Move-In / Camp TBA
- Wind Players – Move-In / Camp TBA
Reasons to join…
- Make tons of friends before the first day of school!
- Travel all over the country representing Mercer University!
- Perform great music in front of crowds of thousands every week!
- Maintain your skills and keep up a life-long hobby
How much does it cost?
- Band members are only responsible for acquiring some personal attire (ie. Marching shoes if you do not already own them, band polo)
- Travel, meals, equipment, uniform cleaning, music, and most everything else is provided throughout the season!
- There is NO fundraising involved!
Are there scholarships?
- YES! Starting next year, there will be a few different types of scholarships available. Please contact the director for more information.