The Mercer Band Family!
Who we are...
- One of the finest collegiate athletic bands in the Southeast, entertaining thousands at home and away every year.
- We embody school spirit and what it means to be a part of Bear Nation!
Who can join
- Marching band members participate in the following sections:Piccolo/FluteClarinetSaxophoneTrumpetMellophoneTromboneBaritoneTubaDrumlineFront Ensemble ColorguardMajorette
- There are NO auditions to be a part of the marching band or pep band!
What about my major? And what about my grades?
- Over 90% of the marching and pep band members are majoring in something other than music!
- Membership includes mostly undergraduate students, but include graduate students as well
- Concerned about grades? Members of the athletic bands maintain some of the highest GPAs on campus!
- Many band members also actively participate in many other clubs, Greek life, and student employment as well.
Do I have time?
- YES! We typically only rehearse two night a week (Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7:00pm-9:00pm). If there is a home football game, we may rehearse on Friday evening.
Is there a summer band camp? How do I sign up?
- Yes, there is a short Band Camp that takes place about a week and a half before classes begin.
- If you live on campus, you will be able to move in early, and beat all of the traffic!
- Once you move in and camp begins, everything will be provided, including all meals for the week, as well as fun activities, including bowling, laser tag, and much more!
- If you are unsure about participating, band camp is a wonderful time to experience what the Mercer Band environment is all about. There is no obligation or costs if you decide not to join after band camp.
- Students can sign up by filling out the Band Interest Form (link included on this page) or by contacting the director directly.
***IMPORTANT COVID-19 DATE CHANGES***
Due to this unprecedented pandemic, we have chosen to shorten our usual band camp and will be implementing multiple safety procedures to ensure the safety of all students and staff. Please see the updated move-in dates below!
- Leadership Move-In Day: Friday, August 7th, 2020
- Returning Members and Incoming Freshmen Move-In Day:
Tuesday, August 11th, 2020
- Full Band Camp: Wednesday, August 12th- Friday, August 14th, 2020
Reasons to join
- Make tons of friends before the first day of school!
- Travel all over the country representing Mercer University!
- Perform great music in front of crowds of thousands every week!
- Maintain your skills and keep up a life-long hobby
How much does it cost?
- Band members are only responsible for acquiring some personal attire (ie. Marching shoes if you do not already own them, band polo)
- Travel, meals, equipment, uniform cleaning, music, and most everything else is provided throughout the season!
- There is NO fundraising involved!
Are there scholarships?
- YES! Starting next year, there will be a few different types of scholarships available. Please contact the director for more information.